UK 1940 QF 25Pdr – lot 231
The most outstanding field artillery piece used by British and Commonwealth forces in the Second World War!
The divisional artillery of most combatants in World War II consisted of different types of weapons. The Wehrmacht and the U.S. Army combined light and heavy howitzers, while the Red Army also used guns.
The only exception was Great Britain, which had only one type of division gun: the 87.6 mm 25-pounder howitzer.
Experts believe that the Quick Fire 25 Pounder was the most outstanding field artillery used by British and Commonwealth forces during World War II!
This magnificent gun is still live today. After its decommissioning from the army, it was prepared for long-term storage and always kept indoors. After removing the preservation grease, it is ready for use in all kinds of ceremonies and events.
WW-II British Artillery in this condition will be hard to find and collect!
If you also are the successful bidder of Lot 229 (Class A restored 1940 Chevrolet Field Artillery Tractor (FAT) and matching 1939 Limber) you will become the owner of a fantastic combination!
© Tracks & Trade BV the Netherlands, February 2023
Having analyzed the experiences of World War I, the British Army composed new requirements for a future field gun in 1919. This gun was to replace two wartime artillery systems: the 83.4 mm 18-pounder and the 4.5″ (114.3 mm) howitzer. The guns were not bad per se, but had their drawbacks. The 18-pounder had a high muzzle velocity but a narrow elevation range. The howitzer with a steep trajectory was a good counterpart. The new system should combine the advantages of both systems: a gun-howitzer.
The Royal Artillery Committee was presented with two howitzer projects in 1924: the 3.9″ (100 mm) QF and 4.1″ (105 mm) BL. The first variant had single-piece ammunition; the second used loose propellant. Both systems were rejected because they did not meet the 15,000-yard range requirement. In 1928, the director of the Royal Artillery J.H. Lewis proposed the 3.7″ (94 mm) howitzer, but it too was rejected. Not until October 1933 did the British finally decide on the caliber of the future gun: 3.45″ or 87.6 mm. A larger caliber made it impossible to modernize old 18-pounder guns for the new round. In February 1938, the inch designation of the howitzer was replaced by the weight designation of the gun, and the 3.45″ gun became the 25-pounder. This indicated that it was first a gun and then a howitzer.
The creation of the new weapon went the evolutionary route. Initially, it was decided to modernize the 18-pounder guns. Around 2000 of them were already in stock, both issued and in warehouses. The liner was replaced with a new one, with thinner, but more sturdy walls. The carriage was also modernized, and wooden wheels were replaced with rubber tired ones. The range was much lower than what was required, only 11,800 yards, but economics beat tactical considerations. The new weapon was adopted in 1935 under the name Ordnance QF 25-pounder Mk. I. Official documents sometimes called it the 18/25-pounder to differentiate it from the older models.
1422 old 18-pounders were rebuilt in 1937-1941. They were equipped with three types of carriage: the Mk. VP with split trails or the single trail Mk. IIITP and Mk. IVP. The Mk. IIITP was used with almost no changes compared to the initial carriage, and the Mk. IVP was developed by Vickers using the carriage of an export 105 mm howitzer as the basis. With this carriage, the gun breech didn’t foul the trail at high elevations but went through a cutout. The split trail carriage, designed at the Royal Workshops at Woolwich, was introduced in 1937, and allowed for a much larger traverse angle: 50 degrees compared to the 9 degrees of the single trail guns. The elevation range was from -5 to +37.5 degrees, but only +15 degrees with joined trails.
A new 25-pounder
In parallel with the modernization of the 18-pounder, work continued on a new 25-pounder, designated the Mk. II. It was accepted into service in December of 1937, but did not enter production until 1939. Before that, the factories were busy modernizing 18-pounders. The Ordnance QF 25-pounder Mk. II had a completely new barrel and breech design.
An interesting feature of the Mk. II was the introduction of a rotating platform. In combat position, the wheels of the carriage were placed upon the platform, which gave it the ability to rotate. On one hand, the weapon now took more time to put into position, on the other hand this feature allowed the carriage to keep the simple single mount. The Mk. II was equipped with a panoramic sight (No.7A, No.7C, or No.9) as well as a No.29 or No.41 telescopic sight for firing directly. The gun had a hydraulic recoil brake and a hydropneumatic return mechanism.
Three types of carriages were used by the Mk. II. One of them was the standard mount from the Mk. I (single trail with a bend), which limited the elevation between -5 and +40 degrees, and was used with the No.9 turning platform. The significantly lighter Mk. II carriage, “Indian pattern”, was designed to be used in the jungle. Since its wheelbase was smaller, a new smaller platform had to be developed, designated No.22.
The next evolutionary step was the alteration of the Mk. I carriage to work with the No.22 platform. This led to the introduction of the Mk. III carriage in 1944. A number of changes were made, increasing the gun elevation to 55 degrees. However, it was not possible to fire from the turning platform at this elevation, only from the ground. A three-trail carriage (like on the 2-pounder and the Soviet D-30 122 mm howitzer) was considered but rejected due to complexity and weight.
In Great Britain, the Vickers company dealt with 25-pounder production, producing 12,253 units at their factories in Sheffield and Newcastle. In addition, the 25-pounder was produced in Canada and Australia (1315 units in total). Canadian-made guns were chiefly used to arm the Sexton SPG. This production did not cover Canada’s needs, and weapons were also imported from Great Britain.
The only serious modification made during production (in 1942) was the introduction of a two-chamber Solothurn model muzzle brake, which was necessary to fire supercharged AP rounds. Guns with this muzzle brake were designated Mk. II/1. Australian guns were not equipped with muzzle brakes, as the issue of tank warfare was not as pressing in New Guinea and other Pacific islands as in North Africa.
Initially, the 25-pounder could fire the following ammunition:
- ID HE filled with Amatol or, more rarely, TNT and RDX.
- IT armour piercing tracer.
- ID BE smoke.
New ammunition was introduced during the war, such as the Mk. IID HE round. An illumination round with a parachute that could burn for 25-30 seconds was adopted in 1943, and a calibration round that put out smoke (yellow, red, green, or blue) in 1944. Propaganda rounds filled with leaflets (converted from smoke shells) saw limited use in North Africa.
The shells could be fired with one of four propellant loads: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or supercharged. The maximum range with the 1st load was 3566 meters, 7132 with the second, 10,790 with the third, and 12,253 with the supercharged. The 25-pounders ammunition was half-QF: shells and propellant were stored and transported separately but could be assembled before loading. The quick rate of fire was combined with a wide selection of propellants. In general, this scheme did not prevent a trained crew from achieving a high rate of fire. In one case, a 25-pounder crew from the 4th Royal Field Artillery Regiment fired 17 rounds in one minute.
The regular loadout for one gun was 142 rounds: 114 HE, 16 smoke, and 12 AP.
On the right: Ammunition for the Mk. II gun. Left to right: post-war smoke shell, AP shell, HE shell with TNT and RDX, HE shell with Amatol, wartime smoke shell. The first three shells are inserted into casings.
British field artillery
A tactical unit of British field artillery at the start of WWII was one two-battery regiment. Each battery contained twelve 18/25-pounder guns split up into three platoons (regiments with old guns were equipped with one 4.5″ howitzer platoon and two with 18-pounders). The regiment had 24 guns in total and was staffed with 580 men. The artillery regiment was fully motorized, with over 120 vehicles (plus nearly thirty motorcycles). This point is rarely stressed, but at the start of WWII Britain was the only army to have fully motorized its artillery. For the sake of tradition, regiments were separated into Royal Field Artillery Regiments and Royal Horse Artillery Regiments, but by the start of WWII their structures were identical. One infantry division had two or three artillery regiments, depending on the number of infantry brigades.
After the fighting in France in 1940, the field artillery regiments were reorganized. Instead of two batteries, they now had three, which better meshed with supporting three-battalion infantry brigades. Each battery was reduced to 8 guns (two platoons of four). The total number of guns in each regiment remained the same. The number of personnel increased to nearly 700.
The 25-pounder was crewed by six men:
- Breech operator
- Ammunition carrier
- Fuse setter
The main means of towing the 25-pounder gun were the 4×4 Quad trucks. They were pretty densely packed, and while the crew could fit inside comfortably, there was no room for ammunition. Single-axle limbers were used as a result: the pre-war No.24 and wartime No.27. Both could fit 32 shells and propellant casings, as well as instruments. The No.27 limber was lower, simpler to produce, and had a carrier for transporting the turning platform.
Use in battle
British artillery was only beginning to rearm when WWII began. Artillery regiments were only starting their familiarization with the 18/25-pounder guns, and the Mk. IIs have not yet arrived. Only 78 barrels were produced by September 1st, 1939, and not a single carriage. The British Expeditionary Force arrived in France with old 18-pounder guns and 4.5″ howitzer alongside 18/25-pounders. 704 18/25-pounder guns were lost in France, partially destroyed and partially captured by the Germans. The Wehrmacht adopted them as the 8.76 cm Feldkanone 281(e) for the guns on Mk. IVP carriages and 8.76 cm Feldkanone 282(e) for guns on Mk. VP carriages. 334 guns were evacuated from the continent. It is not known what proportion of these were the Mk. I and what was composed of other guns.
British light artillery had the following numbers as of June of 1940:
- 18-pounders: 126 in Britain and 130 in the colonies
- 18/25-pounders: 269 in Britain and 146 in the colonies
- 25-pounders: ninety in Britain (none in colonies)
The 25-pounder MkII began its career in battle in April of 1940 during the Norwegian campaign. The 203rd battery armed with these guns fought in Harstad, Mosjøen, Namsos, and Håkvik.
The MkII gun’s finest moment was the battle in North Africa. Regiments armed with these guns deflected the Italian offensive in September-December of 1940. Alongside regular artillery duties, the guns could be used as anti-tank measures against thin-skinned Italian tanks. The appearance of the Africa Corps in Libya made the artillerymen’s life difficult. The Pz IV could only be penetrated from a range of 350-400 meters. As a result of the campaign in 1942, the British decided that it was much more reasonable to fire indirectly at tank columns as they approach the front lines than try to use them as classic anti-tank guns.
Experience in Africa revealed the necessity in massed artillery fire. Earlier, the battery was considered a tactical unit, but by 1942 fire missions were designed for larger groups: from a regiment (24 guns) to the whole corps worth of artillery (150-250 guns). Concentrated indirect fire achieved impressive results. For example, a barrage of 25-pounders in April of 1942 against a group of thirty tanks led to the destruction of five tanks and forced the others to retreat. The greatest concentration of artillery was at El-Alamein, where 834 guns took a part in the barrage on the night of October 22nd-23rd, 1942. The weapons were not only firing at the enemy positions, but at minefields and barbed wire. During the next twelve days, each gun fired an average of 102 rounds per day. On the night of November 1st-2nd, the concentration of 25-pounder guns in the sector of the 2nd New Zealand Division reached 52 guns per one kilometer (roughly one gun for every 19 meters of the front).
During the campaign in Europe in 1944, the Canadian Sexton SPG was frequently used alongside towed guns. American 105 mm howitzers were rarely used, and most Priest SPGs equipped with this gun were converted into APCs. The British military had the opinion that the somewhat smaller destructive power of the 87.6 mm shell compared to its 105 mm counterpart is compensated by the rate of fire. German POWs even referred to 25-pounders as autocannons during interrogations.
The organization of artillery remained largely unchanged during the fighting in Western Europe. Each regiment received forward observer units, equipped with experienced officers, halftracks, and Universal Carriers. All headquarters of infantry and tank units from the battalion level and higher had artillery signals officers, who were tasked with organizing fire support. All of this resulted in a high amount of ammunition consumption, but the Allies had ammo to spare. 72 guns of the 2nd Canadian Division fired 193,000 shells from July 20th to July 27th. Each gun fired 335 times per day on average.
Alongside British formations, 25-pounder Mk. II guns were widespread in other Allied units: The Polish, Free French, Anders’ army, the Dutch, Belgian, and Greek forces.
The first American division in Europe, the 34th Infantry, also received 25-pounder guns instead of 105 mm howitzers. The division trained with these weapons and went into battle with them in Africa in November of 1942, only replacing them with 105 mm howitzers at the end of the campaign in Tunisia.
Command of the 21st Army Group gave the Americans 100 Mk. II guns and 300,000 rounds of ammunition to compensate for the losses taken during the fighting in the Ardennes. Captured 18/25-pounder guns were used by the Wehrmacht during fighting in France in 1944, and 25-pounders were standard equipment in Africa: reconnaissance battalions of the 15th and 21st Tank Divisions received four of these guns each instead of regular 75 mm guns.
After the war, 25-pounder guns were used in Korea, Malaya, Egypt, and during a number of other conflicts. Regular British units kept using 25-pounders until 1967, and they were used for training into the 1980s. The last British unit to use these guns was the salute platoon of the Honorary Artillery Company, which disposed of them in 1992.
Note: The 25 Pdr. was also used by the US troops in the battle of the Bulge!
Location: & Collection
Current location of this object is B-2300 Turnhout, Belgium
Local collection is available for this lot.
Depending on the destination the Buyer shall obtain an International Import Certificate / End User Certificate. Some of the items listed in the auction may require special licenses or permits or existing documents must be prepared for export. If this is relevant, Tracks & Trade will take care of this for you, with the applicable costs being passed on to the successful bidder
Please email [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns.
No item will be allowed to be collected without 100% of all legal requirements being fulfilled.
Margin / VAT
This object is offered by Tracks & Trade pursuant to consignment sale on behalf of a private individual. Therefore, the margin scheme will be applicable, so no sales tax (VAT) over the hammer price will be applicable. For more info see General Conditions of Sale Article 9.
On all Lots a Commission or buyer’s premium (amounting 16,5%) is charged. Over this buyer’s premium 21% sales tax (VAT) will be applicable.
Inspections dates are listed in Colophon page and are conducted under following conditions:
- Inspections will be strictly maximum 1 hour long escorted inspections,
- Maximum of 3 customers per escorted tour,
- Customers must book in prior to inspection,
- Inspection times are 9am 10am 11am 1pm 2pm 3pm 4pm,
- Please note that these inspections might be performed at several locations,
- Inspections for a longer period or outside these hours can be organized for a refundable fee. (Refundable off purchase price of Auction lot).
To make a booking please reply to [email protected] at least 48 hours before the inspection with the following details:
Full Name(s) and contact details and phone number of the people that are coming to inspect. The LOT number(s) and Auction Name that you wish to inspect (items are stored on several locations, and we will need to retrieve them prior to your arrival).
Parts, accessories, and militaria
The batches of spare parts, various accessories and militaria are stored in the best conditions but are sold as-is and delivered without any guarantee of functioning.
Vehicles and vehicle related equipment such as
Cars, motorcycles, trucks, cannons or howitzers, armored vehicles, and tanks are sold in as-is condition, no technical guarantee and guarantee of authenticity and with or without registration (see description).
Parts, accessories, and militaria
The collection of the lots, subject to payment, starting are by appointment only, date is listed in the Colophon page.
Vehicles can be picked up, subject to payment, starting are by appointment only, date is listed in the Colophon page.
Handling costs for the removal of the vehicles will, when applicable, be applied at cost.
Arms & weapons
The Auction House will not supply ANY item unless the correct paperwork and licensing – if needed – have supplied in full.
If required and applicable (fire)arms can be made inoperable or permanently disabled by BAIV in The Netherlands as being a licensed Arms & Weapons Dealer Registration Nr. NL20191618779. In this case all relevant cost will be charged to the Buyer in addition and have to be paid in advance in full. Collection by appointment only!
Delivery and Storage
Removal of lots must be completed by the date listed on the Colophon page, after full payment and 100% coverage of all legal requirements.
No storage fees will be applicable until that date.
Lots not picked up by Buyers will be returned to secure storage at Buyer’s expense. In this case storage fees will be applied as follows :
- Parts & accessories: € 25,- / lot / week
- Cars and motorcycles: € 50,- / lot / week
- Armored vehicles, tanks, cannons etc. € 75,- / lot / week
Above mentioned storage fees are excluding VAT.
General Conditions of Sale
General Conditions of Sale Version 2.0 dated 29-04-2022 are applicable.
Bids on internet
The live auction will be broadcast on: auction.tracksandtrade.com
- Register for the auction (log in or create an account)
- Bid live.
Please use a computer to follow the live auction!
If any item listed causes offence, or is not correctly or incompletely described, please advise us immediately and we will address your concerns.
Please note this auction date may change due to unforeseen circumstances.
1940 Quick Fire 25 Pounder Mark 1 Gun on a No. 5 Mark 1 Carriage
Main Gun: produced by GVI R.I. (1940)
Carriage: produced by G. & W. (1943)
Number Produced: 12,000 (UK, Canada, Australia)
SCC 15 (Standard Camouflage Colour 15)
3.45-inch (87.6 mm)
2.47 m (8 ft 1 in)
-5° to 45° (80° with dial sight adapter and digging trail pit or wheel mounds)
4° Left & Right (top traverse)
Rate of Fire
6-8 rounds per min.
12,253 m (13,400 yards) (HE shell)
1.633 kg (3,600 lb.)
Height: Ground to Tip Barrel: 1.325 mm
Ground to Shield: 1.710 mm
Length: Hook to Barrel: 4.600 mm (15 ft 1 in)
Width: Shield: 1.855 mm
Wheel hubs: 2.130 mm (7 ft)
Level of restoration
Live firing: can be deactivated at costs.
Firearms licence for category 2 weapons will be applicable.
Condition / Remarks
In case of no appropriate Firearms Licence partner BAIV BV can deactivate this gun to the applicable regulations at costs.
Ian Galliers UK
UK Collector and Restoration Specialist.
This 25 Pdr. is a ‘must have’ in any serous artillery collection.
This very nice and complete unit comes in great condition. After decommissioning from the army it was prepared for long time storage and always stored inside. It’s, after removing the preservation grease, ready to use in all kinds of ceremonies and events.
This example is a genuine WW-II survivor.
This is without any doubt a great gun for a serious collector. Real WW-II British Artillery becomes more and more difficult to find and collect!.