Lot 0361: Ford Jeep GPW (USA)
Former President and General Dwight Eisenhower once said that “The Jeep, the Dakota, and the Landing Craft were the three tools that won the war”.
The Jeep legend began in November 1940, in the early days of WWII, just a year before the United States entered the war. A small, four-wheel drive prototype, the Willys "Quad", was delivered to the U.S. Army. It was equipped with the Willys "Go-Devil" engine developed by Delmar "Barney" Roos. With 60 horsepower and 105 foot-pounds of torque, it not only exceeded the Army's requirement, but dwarfed the Bantam with 83 and Ford with 85 foot-pounds of torque, its only competitors for the military contract. The Quad was the father of the MB, CJ series, and Wrangler. Willys refined the Quad and built 1,500 units of the Willys MA model, many of which were used in WWII.
From 1941 to 1945 Willys produced the MB model, the original go-anywhere, do-anything vehicle, which came to be known by its nickname, "Jeep". Made famous during WWII, Willys produced over 300,000 MB vehicles.
By October 1941, it was already clear that Willys-Overland couldn't keep the pace of deliveries, and Ford was contacted. Ford delivered 280,000 Ford GPs, alongside an amphibious model, the GPA. 4456 GPs derived from the Ford Pygmy were built in 1941, followed by 277,896 improved GPWs, derived from the Willys design. GPW means "Government", "P" being the usual factory letter for passenger cars with a 80 inch wheelbase, and "W" to signify it was a Willys licensed design.
Both the Willys MB and Ford GPW models were very effective on the ground, with many standardized features such as 6.00×16 tires, 60 horsepower at 4,000 rpm, a gasoline can bracket on the left rear, provision for trailer lights, spark interference suppression, a blackout light system, twin top bows and sealed spring shackles.
Jeeps were used by every service of the U.S. military and many other allied forces. Jeeps were also used for many purposes, including reconnaissance, gun towing, cable laying, saw milling, firefighting pumpers, field ambulances, tractors and with suitable wheels would even run on railway tracks.
Many experts attribute the beginning of recreational off-roading in the world to when the humble jeep - the first small, affordable and maneuverable 4x4 - became available to the general public shortly after WWII. As the story goes, American GIs, familiar with the jeep from its wartime exploits, lapped up the inexpensive surplus models when they returned home. While some jeeps and the first civilian Willys Jeeps (starting in 1945) were tagged for work duty, many were also used for play. In short, these off-road pioneers went ‘Jeepin'.
Thanks in part to the large number of jeeps that were scattered across the globe at the war's end, the newfound fascination with four-wheeling eventually spread far and wide.
This Ford GPW
This Ford GPW was built in June 1944. It definitely was used on the western front in Europe during WW-II. It got its civil licence on August 8th 1956 and most probably was used till the late 60’s for all kind of applications.
In the 70’s it was purchased by a collector who partly restored it and used it for commemorations and MV-Events. A couple of years ago it changed ownership. The new owner starts to restore it but never finished the restoration in a decent way. However, it gives a very good first impression and a lot of new parts are installed still some work has to been achieved to complete it and make it ready for the 80th Anniversary in 2024. We therefore recommend that if you intend to make a bid for this vehicle, you take advantage of one of the viewing days at our location in Nederweert. The Jeep still has its original body, new tires, engine is running, cooling system is renewed, brakes are working, and the jeep comes with new canvas. All wiring is renewed, and many even small parts are there.
Its looks make it desirable, and it comes with a Dutch road registration.
Model: Truck ¼ ton 4 x 4
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Co. USA
Weight: 2,453 lb. (1,113 kg) curb weight (with engine fluids and full fuel)
2,337 lb. (1,060 kg) dry weight
Crew: 3 to 4
Engine: Licence built Willys L134 "Go Devil" 134 cu in (2.2 l), 4 cylinder inline, side valves, water cooled
60 hp (45 kW; 61 PS) gross / 54 hp (40 kW; 55 PS) net
Transmission: 3-speed manual x 2 range transfer case, 1 reverse
Suspension: Live axles on leaf springs front and rear
Performance: Max. speed: 65 mph (105 km/h)
Dimensions: Length: 132 ¼ in (3.36 m)
Width: 62 in (1.57 m)
Height: 69 ¾ in (1.77 m) overall, top
reducible to 52 in (1.32 m)
Electrical installation: 6 Volt
Permit(s): No specific permits are required.
However, in / export regulations might be applicable.
Date of Delivery: June 30 1944
Chassis Nr.: MB419679
Hood number: Non
Registration: Will be delivered with Dutch road registration
Remarks: In good condition but need some work.
Inspection is recommend in case if you intend to make a bid for this vehicle.
Condition: Running condition
Between € 25.000 and € 28.000