German Saurer SGS4500 – lot 220
- No Reserve
- Buyer’s premium 16.5 % of the hammer price
- Location: Almelo, The Netherlands
- Estimated Price: Following soon
- Brochure: Lot 0220 T&T Saurer SGS4500 Rev 2.0
Class A restored; delivered to the Kriegsmarine in Rudolstadt in 1944 – a genuine WW-II survivor
The Saurer SGS 4500 (4×2) resp. SGA 4500 (4×4) arose of a joined development of Henschel, Magirus and Saurer. About 240 trucks were made from 1942 to 1943. This Saurer SGS 4500 was used by a unit of the Kriegsmarine.
This specific truck was delivered to the Kriegsmarine in Rudolstadt as the Torpedo Arsenal was moved from Kiel to Rudolstadt for the underground production of torpedoes for the Kriegsmarine in early 1943. The base was named Torpedo Arsenal Mitte in Rudolstadt / Thüringen (TAM).
Werner, Dr. Klaus W, a local researcher from Rudolstadt published an 80-page monograph on the TAM in the early 2000s “The torpedo arsenal center (TAM) in Rudolstadt (Saale) 1942-1945”. (See picture on the right).
Approximately 2,500 employees were employed. This was a combination of forced laborers, a number of marines, and Germans.
Below you find some pictures of base the Torpedo Arsenal Mitte in Rudolstadt / Thüringen (TAM) during WW-II. Next to it a picture of Rudolstadt located on the map. Remarkably, the Kriegsmarine in Rudolstadt is located far offshore. The American troops liberated the TAM on 04/12/45.
On September 1st 1945, after its service for the Kriegsmarine it was sold by the Landesradt to a local transport company named Albert Krappe (See document below). The truck was used by the company for many decades until the end of the 1980s.
Early 2000 it was purchased by Christoph Gebhardt who completely restored it in the period 2020-2021. During this Class A restoration, the original materials where largely reused. Even the wood has largely remained original!
Result is a unique, pristine very original restored vehicle!
2.1 Establishment and early developments
In 1906, engineer Alfred von Radio-Radiis joined the company Kfz Ges.m.b.H., which had been founded shortly before by engineers Franz Probst, Moritz Schwarzl and Adolf Maschl. in Vienna-Alsergrund and acquired the license to manufacture trucks from the Swiss Adolph Saurer AG in Arbon, with the Swiss founding company remaining the main shareholder until 1937.
In 1910 Radio-Radiis, who came from an old aristocratic family from Gorizia, took over the management of the company and a short time later took his brother Gaston – also a trained engineer – on as an additional managing director of the company, which was founded in 1914 as Österreichische Saurerwerke, Kfz Ges. m.b.H. was entered in the Vienna commercial register. As early as 1909, the first year-round postal bus route in Austria, from Linz to Eferding, began operating with Saurer buses.
Initially, the vehicles were assembled from components manufactured in Switzerland using the assembly process, but the company soon switched to independent design and production (partly under Swiss licenses).
Additional demand was created by acquiring bus line concessions. In 1916, as a result of the increase in production caused by the First World War, a new plant was built on the Simmerhinger Haide in Vienna-Simmering. In 1923, with the help of the Swiss licensor, the company was converted into a public limited company, but the majority of the shares were in the hands of the Radio-Radiis family.
At the beginning of the 1930s, a sales company was founded in the German Reich. In 1934, the body construction company J. Rohrbacher was taken over as a subsidiary, and in 1937 the Swiss parent company sold all of its shares. Shortly before Austria was annexed to the German Reich, an artillery tractor, the Saurer RR-7, was constructed for the army.
2.2 Saurer in the WW-II
During the Second World War, the Saurer works operated a branch of the Mauthausen camp on their premises in Vienna-Simmering.
Also, factories were set up and forced laborers used in the former imperial Neugebäude Palace. In the basement and ground floor of the main building an armaments factory of Saurer-Werke was set up to manufacture tank engines, tracked vehicles and trucks. The production of trucks was concentrated on the 5-ton type.
After the Second World War, the range was focused on large trucks with diesel engines of our own design, such as the Saurer BT 4500. As a result, the 5-tonne Saurer 5 GF with the up to 180 hp Saurer “Komet” six-cylinder in-line diesel engine with a displacement of 8 liters developed into one of the most popular types.
2.3 This Truck
This specific truck was built in Vienna-Simmering in delivered in 1944. Below a picture of the original identification plate before restoration. In this picture also the original colors can be identified. Color used was the late war camouflage pattern based on a red primer with on top of this a dunkelgelb base. Camouflage pattern was normally finished with stripes of rotbraun and olivgrün.
It was delivered to the Kriegsmarine in Rudolstadt where it was used for transportation purposes for the Torpedo Arsenal Mitte in Rudolstadt / Thüringen (TAM) where underground production of torpedoes was facilitated for the German Kriegsmarine since 1943.
Approximately 2,500 employees were employed in this facility. This was a combination of forced laborers, a number of Kriegsmarine members and local civilian personnel.
Most probably this truck was used for all kinds of logistics activities that a factory of this size entails on a daily basis.
At the end of the war the situation in Rudolstadt became very critical. In the last days of the Second World War, the district of Volkstedt was bombed by American planes on April 10, 1945. 35 people fell victim and 165 houses, including the church.
With the Russians coming from the east and the US 89th Infantry Division, a unit of the US Third Army, commanded by General Patton from the west the Americans troops liberated the TAM on April 12th 1945.
After the war, Rudolstadt-Schwarza developed into a center of the chemical industry in the GDR. More than 6,000 people found work in what was then the chemical fiber combine “Wilhelm Pieck” and several thousand more in the supplier industry. After the war the truck was sold to a private company. Below you can find a picture of the original transfer document, the original text, and the US Translation.
Die Firma Albert Krappe – Rudolstadt, Mittelweg 15 war berechtigt, aus der ehemaligen bestanden des Marine Arsenals
1 Lastkraftwagen Saurer Motor GMD 1118 Fahrgestell GSD 1118 Tragfähigkeit 4640 kg 4 Fach bereift, ohne Differential, Kardanwelle und Batterie
Laut Genehmigung des Landrates v. 16.7. 45 zum Preise von RM 3 800,– abzuholen.
Nachträglich wurde der Maschine von Herrn Oberländer getaxt
Rudolstadt, den 1.9.45
The company Albert Krappe – Rudolstadt, Mittelweg 15 was entitled to consist of the former marine arsenal
1 truck Saurer Motor GMD 1118 chassis GSD 1118 load capacity 4640 kg 4 tires, without differential, cardan shaft and battery
According to the approval of the district administrator v. 16.7. 45 for the price of RM 3,800.00.
The machine was subsequently taxed by Mr. Oberländer
The Special Representative
Rudolstadt, September 1, 1945
The truck was used by the company for many decades until the end of the 1980s.
Early 2000 it was purchased by Christoph Gebhardt from the Polish company Marco Pablo Spólka z o.o. in Tarnowo Podgorne near Poznań who completely restored it with his team in the period 2020-2021. During this Class A restoration, the original materials where largely reused. Even the wood has largely remained original! In the next chapter you will find an impression of the restoration.
Result is a unique, pristine very original restored vehicle!
2.5 Another Saurer SGS4500 in British service of the RCAF No. 403 Squadron
Towards the end of the war, British 403 Squadron operated out of 127 Airfield near Soldau Germany. This was known as Base 154 or B154. They remained there from April 26 until July 7, 1945.
B 154 was an abandoned German airbase known as Reinsehlen. It was about 45 km from Hamburg. It was quite near the Concentration Camp at Bergen Belsen and the swimming pool at Lüneburg Germany. The 403 squadron captured a SGS4500 at B154 in July of 1945. This truck was painted in RAF colors and used by the troops for local tours in the area.
Location: & Collection
Current location of this object is Almelo Netherlands
Local collection is available for this lot.
Depending on the destination the Buyer shall obtain an International Import Certificate / End User Certificate. Some of the items listed in the auction may require special licenses or permits or existing documents must be prepared for export. If this is relevant, Tracks & Trade will take care of this for you, with the applicable costs being passed on to the successful bidder
Please email [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns.
No item will be allowed to be collected without 100% of all legal requirements being fulfilled.
Margin / VAT
This object is offered by Tracks & Trade pursuant to consignment sale on behalf of a private individual. Therefore, the margin scheme will be applicable, so no sales tax (VAT) over the hammer price will be applicable. For more info see General Conditions of Sale Article 9.
On all Lots a Commission or buyer’s premium (amounting 16,5%) is charged. Over this buyer’s premium 21% sales tax (VAT) will be applicable.
Inspections dates are listed in Colophon page and are conducted under following conditions:
- Inspections will be strictly maximum 1 hour long escorted inspections,
- Maximum of 3 customers per escorted tour,
- Customers must book in prior to inspection,
- Inspection times are 9am 10am 11am 1pm 2pm 3pm 4pm,
- Please note that these inspections might be performed at several locations,
- Inspections for a longer period or outside these hours can be organized for a refundable fee. (Refundable off purchase price of Auction lot).
To make a booking please reply to [email protected] at least 48 hours before the inspection with the following details:
Full Name(s) and contact details and phone number of the people that are coming to inspect. The LOT number(s) and Auction Name that you wish to inspect (items are stored on several locations, and we will need to retrieve them prior to your arrival).
Parts, accessories, and militaria
The batches of spare parts, various accessories and militaria are stored in the best conditions but are sold as-is and delivered without any guarantee of functioning.
Vehicles and vehicle related equipment such as
Cars, motorcycles, trucks, cannons or howitzers, armored vehicles, and tanks are sold in as-is condition, no guarantee of authenticity and with or without registration (see description).
Parts, accessories, and militaria
The collection of the lots, subject to payment, starting are by appointment only, date is listed in the Colophon page.
Vehicles can be picked up, subject to payment, starting are by appointment only, date is listed in the Colophon page.
Handling costs for the removal of the vehicles will, when applicable, be applied at cost.
Arms & weapons
The Auction House will not supply ANY item unless the correct paperwork and licensing – if needed – have supplied in full.
If required and applicable (fire)arms can be made inoperable or permanently disabled by BAIV in The Netherlands as being a licensed Arms & Weapons Dealer Registration Nr. NL20191618779. In this case all relevant cost will be charged to the Buyer in addition and have to be paid in advance in full. Collection by appointment only!
Delivery and Storage
Removal of lots must be completed by the date listed on the Colophon page, after full payment and 100% coverage of all legal requirements.
No storage fees will be applicable until that date.
Lots not picked up by Buyers will be returned to secure storage at Buyer’s expense. In this case storage fees will be applied as follows :
- Parts & accessories: € 25,- / lot / week
- Cars and motorcycles: € 50,- / lot / week
- Armored vehicles, tanks, cannons etc. € 75,- / lot / week
Above mentioned storage fees are excluding VAT.
General Conditions of Sale
General Conditions of Sale Version 2.0 dated 29-04-2022 are applicable
Bids on internet
The live auction will be broadcast on: https://auction.tracksandtrade.com/follow-live-auctions
- Register for the auction (log in or create an account)
- Bid live.
Please use a computer to follow the live auction!
If any item listed causes offence, or is not correctly or incompletely described, please advise us immediately and we will address your concerns.
Please note this auction date may change due to unforeseen circumstances.
|Model||Truck Cargo SGS4500 (4×2)|
|Manufacturer||Österreichische Saurerwerke AG Vienna Austria|
|Production figures||Only 240 units have been produced in the period 1942 to 1943|
|Color||On 18 February 1943, Inspectorate 2 issued an order to paint all vehicles in a base coat of dark yellow (dunkelgelb. On top of the dark yellow was to be painted a pattern of olive green (olivgrün, a color adopted from the Reichluftfahrtsministerium (RLM) (Reich ministry of aviation)), red brown (rotbraun RAL 8017), and dunkelgelb.|
|Net Weight||5.435 kg (11,970 lbs.)|
|Gross Weight||9.935 kg (21,900 lbs.)|
|Loading cappacity||4.500 kg (9,920 lbs)|
|Crew||2 (Driver & Co-Driver)|
· 6-cylinder Diesel (direct injection)
· Capacity: 7.274 cc
· Power: 105 hp (88 KW) @ 2.000 rpm.
|Suspension||Live beam axles on leaf springs|
Length: 8,10 m 319 inch
Width: 2,44 m 96 inch
Height: 3,10 m 122 inch
|Electrical installation||12 Volt|
|Year of Production||1944|
|Chassis / VIN Nr.||3B014001|
|Engine number||GMD 1118|
|Registration||WM 209765 (Kriegsmarine)|
The Saurer SGS 4500 was created in a joint development by Saurer, Henschel and Magirus. Only 240 trucks were built in 1942-1943, both in 4×2 (SGS) and in 4×4 (SGA). .
This truck is delivered to the Naval Arsenal in Rudolstadt Germany in November 1944.
|Road Licence||No road licence|
|Condition||Class A restored|